I Am Iron Man

Posted by Posted by Kirk Bowman On 10:56 AM


Those who know me, know I am not too big on movies. I’m not sure why but they just don’t appeal to me. The only movies I really like are Austin Powers (the first 2 especially) and The Princess Bride. My life has enough drama without watching someone else’s. I like comic relief.

But lately I am on a movie watching tear (for me, anyway). Last week, I took my family to see “Iron Man”. Yes, we did go to the food theater. So what.

Before seeing the movie, I couldn’t imagine Robert Downey, Jr. as a superhero but he did a really great job. I think his appeal is his imperfection. People love flawed superheroes.

Perfection is not nearly as important as honesty and authenticity.


7 comments

  1. greg varney Said,

    you didn't say if you liked it or not... (inquiring minds wanna know!)

    Posted on May 29, 2008 at 12:14 PM

     
  2. Kirk Bowman Said,

    I did like it. Not as much as others seemed to. Still not as good as Spiderman 1 & 3, to me.

    Posted on May 29, 2008 at 12:43 PM

     
  3. praisedetail Said,

    What is the food theater???

    Posted on May 30, 2008 at 7:15 AM

     
  4. Kirk Bowman Said,

    We have 2 food theaters (that I know of):
    Cinnebar - at Biltmore Square Mall
    Asheville Pizza & Brewing company on Merrimon Ave.

    Posted on May 30, 2008 at 8:07 AM

     
  5. greg varney Said,

    iron man worse than spiderman 3?

    to each his own, i suppose.

    (i'm just glad you saw it! ha!)
    (and i love our childhood comic book connection)

    Posted on May 30, 2008 at 8:34 AM

     
  6. Anonymous Said,

    I think all the marvel comic book movies are OK. Spidey 3 was the best I think. I haven't tried the food theaters yet. Is it distracting?

    Posted on May 31, 2008 at 9:19 AM

     
  7. Anonymous Said,

    So.........I haven't seen this movie (not a big comic book fan), but the commercials have made me think just what you said at the end. I love heroes in general who are NOT perfect. I love leaders who are not perfect but ARE honest and authentic and let GOD be the perfect One. That's what has kept me sane, I think. Perfection and "falling forward" are two different things, and I think the one who falls forward (or gets knocked down by someone else) and keeps on getting back up again is STRONGER than the one who THINKS he/she is perfect. Yep - Dennis and I think you ARE Iron Man! :-)

    Posted on June 1, 2008 at 7:00 PM