Tree Hugging

Posted by Posted by Kirk Bowman On 8:27 AM


This a picture of a tree we tried to save when we built our first church building ten years ago. I found out I was a closet tree hugger when all the bulldozers started knocking down these gorgeous oak trees. I actually shrunk our parking lot down in an effort to save a few of these trees. Finally, after 10 years, this tree is done. It’s sad to me. You just don’t think big trees should die.

A few months ago, I heard a great online interview with Tom Peters. The interviewer made a mention of a comment a master gardener had given her on his best advice on gardening. Tom went off in excitement over this concept

His no. 1 tip: People need to realize that all plants (shrubs, tree, etc.) have a life span and will die someday. Accept that fact.

So quit trying to grow things past their life span. Some things have expiration dates. It is a sad thing to let some things go but learn to plant new trees. Let go of your past and create your future.


5 comments

  1. Davida Said,

    I love that tree :(

    Posted on May 21, 2008 at 12:50 PM

     
  2. praisedetail Said,

    Too true.
    When I was young(er than I am now), I was Terrified of any change - no matter how small. If my mom rearranged the furniture, I went into a tailspin. from the age of 5 to 25, every dog I owned was named Mac. Scary. And I kept EVERYTHING.

    Today, in a most rewarding way, I am addicted to change. The past no longer holds me- nor I, It.

    Thanks ,Pk, for ushering in consistent change - while still giving big old trees a fighting chance.

    Posted on May 21, 2008 at 8:17 PM

     
  3. Anonymous Said,

    I think another one should be planted in it's place.

    Posted on May 26, 2008 at 8:06 PM

     
  4. Anonymous Said,

    I think another one should be planted in it's place.

    Posted on May 26, 2008 at 8:07 PM

     
  5. Anonymous Said,

    Why is it that this is such a difficult task? It seems logical, makes perfect sense, however, implementing it into your life has proven to be quite the challenge! At least for me....

    Posted on May 26, 2008 at 8:26 PM