Tattoos

Posted by Posted by Kirk Bowman On 8:33 PM

I'm not into tattoos. Not for the normal reasons most people give, though. I don't think there's anything morally wrong with having a tattoo. Actually, some people's tattoos look pretty cool to me. If someone wants a tattoo for them self, that's their choice.

My personal issue with tattoos is this: What looked cool to me when I was 20 doesn't look so cool now. What I thought looked so awesome then is a picture we would all laugh at now. I used to have a moustache that looked like the guy from Hall and Oates. Cool then. Really!! Stupid now. Glad it wasn't a tattoo.

To make a permanent mark on yourself with the viewpoint you happen to have now just doesn't make sense to me. 20 years from now it may look ridiculous.

I've seen "what was cool" change so much over my lifetime. I've seen dozens of looks and ideas that were so hip at one time but now appear entirely outdated.

I've had a lot of opportunities to get tattooed. The ways we thought looked so cool about church, money, evangelism, worship, discipleship, etc. 20 years ago all look pretty silly now.

I don't want to make (or take) a permanent mark on something I happen to like now. There has to be the freedom to evolve into a new day. Some old ideas and paradigms need to be shed to keep growing in life.

Cool sideburns, Elvis.

3 comments

  1. greg varney Said,

    have you had the privilege of perusing the "Bad Hair" book that sits on my desk? your blog made me think of it.

    Posted on August 29, 2007 at 8:44 AM

     
  2. Anonymous Said,

    So I guess that "maneater" tattoo i was thinking of is a bad idea.....

    Too bad a lot of people don't consider the future when they get inked. I do have to say though, when ever my mom would put the-what are you gonna do when you get old and you have all these tattoos? argument, I would always say that if there's any group of people who don't care, it's old folks.

    (not even a beautiful letter S?)

    Posted on August 29, 2007 at 9:21 AM

     
  3. praisedetail Said,

    tatoos on your body...very painful to have erased.
    tatoos on your heart...how to remove those?
    guess it's relly important to examine the design of something- or someone before permanently affixing it to that particular body part.

    Posted on August 29, 2007 at 10:03 AM