Don't "Should" on me

Posted by Posted by Kirk Bowman On 8:15 AM

I do intend to have an ongoing dialogue on our 5 work culture ideas but I wanted to post this idea.

This morning I woke up extra early - not on purpose - and flipped on the TV to check out the weather. So, I see this guy (youngish, fairly contemporary church setting) preaching away at what everybody in his church should be doing - praying, fasting, tithing, serving, etc. He is letting them have it.

I do think all of those are good things but it's the "you should" over-the-top tone that concerns me.

This a significant paradigm difference:
1. A relationship with God is all about what you should be doing
vs.
2. A relationship with God is about being connected to a God who is a "Helper"

Yes, there are things we should do. Things that are right.

But I think people are carrying enough of a load in life without having to carry all that as well.

God as a helper is not "Santa Claus who gives me all the candy I want". Please. A little more respect for God than that. But He is God. He doesn't need our behavior. We need His help

Christianity is more about believing than behaving. And good believing always results in good behaving. Christianity is more about God helping us rather than us keeping up with all the "shoulds".

There are some "shoulds" in life but to paint a relationship with God as being all about doing what we should is not really giving the true picture.

That pastor should stop doing that.

5 comments

  1. Anonymous Said,

    right on.

    i had a revelation the other day that was a small thought but has brought major insight into my life.

    understanding that god gave me absolutely everything anyways, i always want my response to be a reciprocal that gives him something that he can bless.

    Posted on April 25, 2007 at 9:41 AM

     
  2. I grew up in those types of churches and thinking. I became frustrated when I couldn't accomplish the "shoulds" list in life. I found myself trying to follow those who were telling me what I should be doing and watching what they weren't doing, and found that I was nowhere near God. It was a great day when I received this revelation! What a freedom to know that God is not waiting for me to "get it together"! As he works in my life, as we have a relationship and as I allow it to grow, he changes the things in me that need changing.

    Posted on April 25, 2007 at 4:00 PM

     
  3. Davida Said,

    Yes, that pastor "should" stop doing that. :)

    Posted on April 29, 2007 at 3:16 PM

     
  4. KHawk Said,

    When people ask me what I love about The Rock, one of my answers is always "We focus on how great life can be walking with God, not all of the things that God doesn't like." I'm like Becky - that was an AWESOME revelation when I found The Rock Church on February 8th, 1998.

    Posted on April 30, 2007 at 8:57 PM

     
  5. praisedetail Said,

    When someone asks you a question regarding something you are passionate about, you "should" have an answer, yes?

    Yesterday, I had a conversation with a client about world travels. I have gone "virtually" everywhere you can travel- he has actually- been just about everywhere. Twice.

    He says, out of the blue- ya, I was in China last month with my daughters shopping in this Ginormous mall, and there was this "place" that took up on side of the building called The Rock. He said it was obviously a church. (??)I said-hey, that's the name of my church. Wow.

    He says next- so, what makes your church great? Not the question I was prepared for.

    I talk too much- I write longwinded posts... but, man, was I stumped. It is easy to describe something good...that was a good meal, good service, good workout- and so on. When something is phenomenal- when it has that intangible greatness.. how do you quickly and concisely describe this to someone who hasn't experienced?

    Well- this "Should" topic might seem unrelated to the topic of in fifty words or less describe the greatness of your church- but not to me.

    I got frustrated by this guys request to describe The Rock, because I couldn't wrap everything up into some profound, iconic statement.

    So, I have to thank you Pastor Kirk... not that you haven't voiced all thats possible in your messages- but, reading this post of yours, I found the word that wraps up everything I love about this church... Can.

    To me, The Rock is all about possibility and potential-everything God believes you can be-not everything He wishes you would have.

    Should represents the past...could represents the Future- Thanks for builing something that represents such a bright one.

    Posted on May 6, 2007 at 1:30 PM